KLM flight delays or cancellations
Flight delays or cancellations could be a headache, it can affect your travel plans. If any of such mishaps occurred, we could give you a little relief. Under EU law, you could be eligible for compensation for flight delays from KLM Airlines.
If you are entitled to claim compensation, we at ClaimFlights make sure to claim against KLM Airlines. We take your flight delay case on a ‘No Win No Fee’ basis, and even take your case to court at no extra cost.
To check if you’re eligible, you need to enter flight details in our free flight delay compensation calculator. To fill the KLM compensation claim form, it doesn’t take more than 2 minutes of your precious time.
Find out if you are eligible for compensation
KLM Airlines Passengers’ Right to Compensation
If you have booked a flight with KLM Airlines, and the flight was delayed, canceled or overbooked, you could be eligible for compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004.
That’s what EU law states. EC 261 rule protects the EU air passengers and helps to receive compensation up to 600€ from the airlines.
What to do if your KLM Airlines flight is delayed or canceled?
For KLM Airlines flight delays of more than three hours or flight cancellations without prior notice of at least 2 weeks, you could ask for compensation.
When can you claim KLM flight delay compensation?
You are entitled to compensation if your flight with KLM Airlines was delayed for more than three hours at the final destination.
Under which circumstances am I eligible for KLM delays compensation?
The most important factors to claim KLM Airlines flight delay compensation are …
- your flight arrived with a delay of more than 3 hours
- your KLM flight was departed or landed at an EU airport
- and, the disruption wasn’t caused due to extraordinary circumstances
How much can you claim for KLM flight delays?
The amount of compensation varies from 250€ to 600€. It depends upon the route distance and the length of the delay.
The table below clarifies how much you can claim for KLM Airlines’ delayed flight.
|Claim amount||Route distance||Length of delay|
|250€||less than 1500 km||3+ hours|
|400€||between 1500 km to 3500 km||3+ hours|
|600€ *||more than 3500 km||4+ hours (EU borders were crossed)|
KLM Airlines departure delays
For 2+ hours departure delays, KLM Airlines must offer you …
- free meals and refreshments
- access to 2 free phone calls, email or fax
For flight delays of more than 5 hours …
- you should be re-routed to the earliest available flight. Alternatively, you can request a refund of the ticket cost (which should be credited within 7 working days), if you were not willing to travel
- hotel accommodation and transport facility between airport and hotel for an overnight delay, or when stay becomes necessary
In addition to it you are entitled to compensation too, if you reached your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours.
What to do if an airline offers travel vouchers instead of compensation?
Can I claim KLM flight compensation due to bad weather?
What should I do before applying for compensation?
- ☛ Ask the airline for the reason behind flight disruption
- ☛ Get confirmation in writing from the airlines’ customer service
- ☛ Note the actual arrival time (i.e., when the plane door was opened)
- ☛ Collect additional evidence (e.g. photos, boarding pass, receipts, etc.)
- ☛ Check if you are eligible for compensation
- ☛ Assign us your case for a hassle-free claim (we work on a “No Win = No Fee” basis)
- ☛ Or, contact the airline directly to claim on your own
Was your KLM Airlines flight delayed?
KLM Cancellation Compensation
While flight traveling it may happen that KLM Airlines could cancel their flight due to some reasons. But in this situation again EU Regulation 261 protects your rights.
If your flight was canceled without prior notice of at least 14 days, you may ask for flight cancellation compensation or ask for a KLM refund.
If KLM Airlines’s flight was canceled, you have two options to choose from …
- apply for a refund, or
- ask for an alternative flight
If your alternate flight delays for more than 2 hours at the final destination, you could be eligible for canceled flight compensation.
The amount to claim is between 125 euro and 600 euro for a cancelled flight depending upon …
- days you were informed before
- the length of delay, and
- route distance
Whereas, for flight cancellation due to extraordinary circumstances, you could not claim compensation.
How much can I claim for KLM flight cancellations?
KLM overbooked flight compensation
If you were denied boarding due to overbooking, you may be eligible for overbooked flight compensation under the European Regulation EC261 up to 600€.
Whereas to claim compensation …
- you should not give up your seat voluntarily in exchange for some vouchers
- you presented yourself at the airport on time for check-in
- the departure or arrival airport belonged to the EU airport
In case, you were offered an alternate flight of your choice but reached the destination later than two hours, you could ask for compensation.
KLM missed connecting flight compensation
You may be eligible for missed connection compensation under the European Union Regulation EC 261, if…
- the entire journey was booked under one booking reference
- your KLM flight was departed from the EU member state, or arrived at the EU member state
- and, you reached the final destination later than three hours
Does it need to be an EU citizen to claim for KLM Airlines' delayed flight?
Here’s the table below to summarize …
|Origin and Destination||EU-regulated Airline||Non-EU regulated Airline|
|EU ✈ EU||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|EU ✈ Non-EU||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Non-EU ✈ EU||✅ Yes||❌ No|
|Non-EU ✈ Non-EU||❌ No||❌ No|
How to apply for compensation for a delayed flight?
- First, check if you are eligible to claim using our compensation checker tool.
- Provide us your flight details such as flight number, date, etc.
- We prepare and file a claim on behalf of you, also proceed with legal action if required
- Once we receive compensation, we charge a success fee of 25% + VAT (no VAT for non-EU residents).
- Don’t be late, claim for your rights today !
Why should you choose “ClaimFlights”?
- No win No fee. Yes, you read it right, you need to pay nothing unless we win the case
- No additional legal action fee, or admin fee (even if we have to take your case to court)
- Close to 100% Success in court
- Success Fee 25% + VAT (no VAT, if you are a non-EU resident)
- Best Payout when compared with the other flight delay claim companies
- Test Winner in many flight delay provider tests
Assign us your claim and let us fight for your rights
Useful information about KLM Airlines
Its IATA code is ‘KL’, and the ICAO code is ‘KLM’.
Its headquarters is located at Amstelveen, North-Holland, Netherlands. And, its hub is at Amsterdam Airport.
It is one of the oldest airlines that still happens to be operating under its original name. It is known as one of the safest airlines all over the world.
The subsidiaries include Transavia, KLM Cityhopper, KLM Asia, Cygnific and Martin Air. Its parent company is Air France-KLM Group, which is also a member of the SkyTeam airline alliance.
Fleet Size and Destinations
The current fleet size of KLM is 116. It serves 133 destinations in 70 countries.
|United States||Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis–Saint Paul, New York City, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Washington, D.C.|
|United Kingdom||Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds/Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Norwich|
|Germany||Berlin, Bremen, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hanover, Munich, Nuremberg, Stuttgart|
|Italy||Bologna, Cagliari, Catania, Florence, Milan, Naples, Rome, Turin, Venice|
|Norway||Ålesund, Bergen, Kristiansand, Sandefjord, Stavanger, Trondheim|
|Spain||Alicante, Barcelona, Bilbao, Ibiza, Madrid, Málaga, Valencia|
|France||Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Nice, Toulouse|
|Canada||Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver|
|Sweden||Gothenburg, Linköping, Stockholm, Växjö|
|Brazil||Fortaleza, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo|
|Poland||Gdańsk, Krakow, Warsaw, Wrocław|
|Denmark||Aalborg, Billund, Copenhagen|
|Tanzania||Dar es Salaam, Kilimanjaro|
|India||Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai|
|Russia||Moscow, Saint Petersburg|
|South Africa||Cape Town, Johannesburg|
|Costa Rica||Liberia, San José|
|United Arab Emirates||Abu Dhabi, Dubai|
|Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
KLM Airlines Baggage Policy
|Ticket Type||Hand Baggage||Max. Size||Max. Weight|
|Economy Class (European and Intercontinental flights)||1 Item||55 x 35 x 25 cm||12kg (26 Ibs)|
|1 Accessory Bag||40 x 30 x 15 cm|
|Business Class (European and Intercontinental flights)||2 Item||55 x 35 x 25 cm||18kg (40 Ibs)|
|1 Accessory Bag||40 x 30 x 15 cm|
|Infant Passengers||1 item||55 x 35 x 25 cm||12kg (26 Ibs)|
|Ticket Type||Checked Baggage||Max. Size||Max. Weight|
|Economy Class (European and Intercontinental flights)||1 Item||158 cm / 62 inch||23kg (50 Ibs)|
|Business Class (European and Intercontinental flights)||2 item||158 cm / 62 inch||32kg (70.5 Ibs)|
|Infant Passengers||1 item||–||10kg (22 Ibs)|
KLM Airlines Reviews
KLM Airlines have been rated 6 out of 10 stars by Skytrax reviewed by more than 1145 air passengers as of April 2020. SkyTrax rates airlines based upon their quality, performance, and services.
In terms of on-board services, KLM Airlines air passengers gave 3 stars out of 5 for inflight entertainment, food & beverages, seat comfort, and value for money, 4 stars out of 5 for their staff service.
International Legal Strategist
Choose your Choice to Claim Compensation
Here we have compared 3 different ways to claim compensation: