Flight Delays – Rights to Compensation or Refund
If your flight delays for more than 3 hours you are entitled to compensation up to 600€ (or $700) or refund for airport delays from the airlines under EU Regulation 261/2004.
You are entitled to compensation up to $700 for flight delays under EU 261 Rule
If your flight delays for more than 3 hours, you can claim up to $700 delay compensation from the airlines.
It should be airlines fault for the delay.
No claims can be asserted under extraordinary circumstances such as Tsunami, or extremely bad weather, as these are beyond the control of the airlines.
Airline delays or cancellations cause many problems for air passengers (including financial problems), but it can be caused due to a number of reasons.
The European Commission has therefore established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of flight delays, or cancellations, or denied boarding, commonly known as EC Regulation 261/2004.
You are eligible for financial compensation if …
- the departure was from an EU airport, or
- the arrival was to an EU airport with an EU-registered airline
The right to claim compensation for delayed flights in the skies of European Union is covered under EC Regulation 261/2004.
Whereas, in the US, the Department of Transportation (DOT) designed the Tarmac Delay Rule in order to address the inconvenience faced by the air passengers.
Compensation can be claimed not only for adults but also for children.
The rule is:
“If the ticket was bought, there is compensation.”
Entitlement to Compensation
The amount that you can claim depends on the length of the delay and distance of your flight:
|Length of Delay||Travel Distance||Compensation|
|Up to 2 hours 59 mins||Any Distance||No|
|3+ hours||Less than 1500 km||250€ (approx. $280)|
|Between 1500 km to 3500 km||400€ (approx. $450)|
|More than 1500 km and within EU (I)||400€ (approx. $450)|
|3 to 4 hours||3500+ km and Flight from EU to Non-EU airport (II)||300€ (approx. $340)|
|4+ hours||3500+ km and Flight from EU to Non-EU airport (III)||600€ (approx. $680)|
- For internal flights within EU, you can demand up to 400 Euros.
- For the flight that originated from an EU airport but lands 3-4 hours later at an airport outside the EU, the airlines should reimburse you up to 300 Euros.
- Whereas, if the flight originated from an EU airport but lands later than 4 hours at an airport outside the EU, then you can demand up to 600 Euros.
What are your rights when flight delays for 2 hours?
The airline should offer the following assistance under “Rights to Care” to the passengers:
- Snacks and drinks.
- Two phone calls and emails or fax.
- Hotel accommodation and transfer facility (for an overnight delay).
Refund of Ticket Cost
But, you are not eligible for compensation, as you hadn’t reached your destination.
The refund should be credited within 7 working days in cash, check or bank transfer.
How we can help you to get your money back?
We help you to get to know about your rights in the event of delays or cancellations, and ensure that your case is dealt with an ease.
We provide authenticated services to get you compensated for the inconvenience caused to you.
We strictly adhere to the EU regulations. So you can sit back and relax, and we doing the entire claim process on behalf of you.
We keep you updated regarding your case, sending an update over your email address.
What are my rights for a delayed flight?
- For 3+ hours flight delay, each passenger is entitled to compensation of up to €600.
- Compensation amount varies between 250 and 600 euros depending upon the length of delay and route distance.
- For flight, delayed more than 2 hours, passengers have a ‘right to care’ assistance which includes free meals, refreshments, 2 phone calls and access to email or fax.
Why are flights delayed?
You should always ask the airline about the reason behind it.
According to EU 261 rule, if the airline is responsible for the airport delays or cancellations, they must compensate the passengers, or refund their flight ticket cost.
You are not eligible for compensation if the flight is canceled or delayed due to unavoidable conditions. For example, Tsunami, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, extreme bad weather or any other ‘Act of God’.
You might also be interested to read about: Can I claim compensation due to bad weather?.
How to check if your flight is delayed?
What to do if your flight is delayed?
- Note the exact arrival time (i.e. when the aircraft doors are opened after landing)
- Find the reason for flight delay (ask airline customer service)
- Don’t sign any document or accept any offer that may waive your rights
- Exchange business cards with co-passengers, who can act as witnesses if necessary
- Take pictures of the information boards at the airport where the flight status is clearly visible
- Keep your boarding pass or your flight schedule details
- Ask for compensation if your flight delayed over 3 hours
Flight delayed, can I ask for compensation?
Which law applies with regard to a flight delay?
In the US, Tarmac Delay Rule apply to addresses the problem of passengers being stranded on the ground aboard aircraft, denied boarding, flight delays or missed connections.
Are the claims valid for package holidays?
How to get compensation for delayed flights?
- You can use free flight delay compensation calculator to check the receivable amount.
- For this, you only need to enter your flight details, i.e., flight number, date and reason behind the delay.
- You can easily add co-passengers or if any connecting flights involved, in order to determine the correct receivable amount.
- Then can choose to continue to claim through us.
- You can assign us to enforce your rights by signing the digital contract.
After that, we work on behalf of you, and you have to ‘Sit back and relax’.
Or if you want to claim yourself, you can use our free flight delay compensation letter template.
Read the benefits when you claim through us.
With us, you can get hassle-free compensation directly to your bank.
We do not charge any wire fee or administration fees.
In case of success, we only charge 25% plus VAT, comparatively less than the other claim companies.
Our fee is 100% success based. Yes, No Win No Fee. So it’s risk-free for you to claim through us.
Even if we have to go to court for your case, we do not charge any extra cost.
What are extraordinary circumstances for flight delays?
The following are the extraordinary circumstances that preclude compensation:
- “Act of God” e.g. earthquake, volcanic eruption, bad weather, tsunami, etc.
- Strikes from airport staff, or air traffic control (ATC).
- Invisible technical problems, such as bird hitting the plane engine.
- Political unrest, Terrorist attacks, etc.
Founder & Legal Head
Esenia Ulbrich is the founder of Claim Flights and heads the legal team. She hold a master of business administration and loves sailing in the Saronic Gulf, hiking in the alpes and spents time with her daughter.
Choose your Choice to Claim Compensation
Here we have compared 3 different ways to claim compensation: