Air India Flight Delay Compensation
If your Air India flight was delayed or canceled, you may have the right to compensation under European Regulation EC 261.
The amount of compensation is up to 600€ ($700).
Air India Delayed or Canceled Flights Rights
Here is all you need to know to claim compensation of up to 600€ per passenger under EU 261 rule for Air India flight delays or cancellations.
You may be eligible for compensation if …
- your flight arrived with a delay of more than 3 hours
- you have been departed from an EU airport
- the delay was not due to any extraordinary circumstances
The amount of compensation varies between 250€ to 600€ depending upon the route distance and length of the delay.
Enter your AI flight details and check how much you can claim: Check your flight for free.
What should you do if your flight was delayed?
- ✔ ask the airline for the reason behind flight disruption
- ✔ get a confirmation in writing from the Air India Customer Service
- ✔ note the actual arrival time (i.e., when the plane door was opened)
- ✔ collect additional evidence (e.g. photos, boarding pass, receipts, etc.)
- ✔ enter your flight details into our claim form
- ✔ check if you are eligible for compensation
- ✔ assign us with your case for a hassle-free claim (we work on a “No Win = No Fee” basis)
Your Rights under EU 261 Rule
Under EC Regulation 261/2004, air passengers are entitled to compensation or refund for longer flight delays, cancellations and denied boarding due to an overbooked flight.
In these cases, you can claim compensation, if the airline was responsible for …
- ➥ flight delays: if you reached the final destination with more than 3 hours delay.
- ➥ flight cancellations: if you were informed about flight cancellation without any prior notice of at least 0 to 14 days of departure.
- ➥ denied boarding: if you were denied to board your flight due to overselling of flight tickets.
- ➥ missed connecting flight: if you missed your connecting flight due to delay or cancellation of your first flight, and reached later than 3 hours at the final destination.
Whereas, if the flight disruptions were caused due to some extraordinary circumstances there is no compensation.
Examples of such circumstances include security threats, strike, tsunami, extreme bad weather conditions, or any ‘Act of God’.
Air India delayed flight rights
You are eligible for plane delay compensation if …
- ✔ your flight had 3+ hours delay at the arrival airport, i.e., at the final destination
- ✔ you were departed from EU airport, or arrived at EU airport with EU-registered airline
- If you travel up to 1,500 km or less, then you can claim up to 250€
- And over 1,500 km, you can claim up to 400€
Between EU Airport And Non-EU Airport:
- If you travel up to 1,500 km or less, then you can claim up to 250€
- If the distance is between 1,500 – 3,500 km, then you can claim up to 400€
- And, if the distance is over 3500 km and the delay goes beyond 4 hours, you can claim financial compensation up to 600€
You may be interested in this topic: An Ultimate Guide on Flight Delay Compensation
Rights for departure delays
When the flight delays over 2 hours during departure, the airline must offer you …
- free meals and refreshments
- 2 free calls, email or fax service
For flight delays of more than 5 hours
- you should be re-routed to the earliest available flight. Alternatively, you can ask for a refund of the ticket cost (which should be credited within 7 working days), if you were not willing to travel
- hotel accommodation and transport facility between airport and hotel for an overnight delay, or when stay becomes necessary
In addition to it, if you reached your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation too, from the airline.
Air India flight canceled rights
If your flight was canceled without prior notice of at least 14 days, you may ask for flight cancellation compensation or get a refund.
There are two options available for you to choose from …
- You can either apply for a ticket refund, or
- You may ask for the change of flight or an alternate flight.
If your alternate or replacement flight gets delayed beyond the scheduled arrival time, you are entitled to canceled flight compensation.
The amount varies between 125€ and 600€ depending upon …
- days you were informed before
- length of delay, and
- route distance
Air India missed connecting flight rights
You may be eligible for missed flight compensation up to 600€ under the European Union Regulation EC261, if …
→ the same airline operates your connecting flight(s) which you missed due to a problem on your first flight, and
→ the delay at the final destination is more than three hours.
Am I eligible to claim compensation?
EC Regulation 261/2004 is European law, it applies to EU airspace. You do not have to be an EU citizen to claim flight compensation.
It states that you can claim for flights departed from an airport located in the EU Member States (with any airline), or arrived at an airport located in the EU Member States with an EU regulated airline.
|Origin and Destination||EU Airline||Non-EU Airline|
|EU ✈ EU||✅||✅|
|EU ✈ Non-EU||✅||✅|
|Non-EU ✈ EU||✅||❌|
|Non-EU ✈ Non-EU||❌||❌|
Thus you are eligible for compensation under EC 261 Regulation.
Calculate the amount Air India owes you
Passengers are often unaware of their rights and end up claiming a futile amount compared to what they are entitled to claim.
At “Claim Flights” we facilitate free flight delay compensation calculator. It helps you to calculate the amount that you can demand from the airline.
You can check for free the amount Air India owes you.
To proceed with your claim, follow these simple steps and get compensated.
✔ Gather proof of the delay
- ➔ get a confirmation in writing from the airlines
- ➔ take photos of the flight information board
- ➔ gather contact details of co-passengers (who can act as a witness)
✔ Keep your documents ready
- ➔ flight documents (flight ticket, boarding pass)
- ➔ receipts or bills of additional costs (e.g. taxi, food & meals, and accommodation)
✔ Request compensation
- ➔ enter your flight details
- ➔ know the amount to claim
- ➔ fill the claim form (doesn’t take more than 2 minutes)
- ➔ you can choose “Claim Flights” to enforce your rights
How to claim compensation for Air India Airlines delays?
In general, when passengers approach the airline, they were excused with reasons such as ‘extraordinary circumstances’, thus no compensation.
But, we know the actual reason behind the flight disruptions and help you with your claim.
To proceed with your claim, check your flight in our compensation checker tool.
All you have to do is provide us with your flight number, date of journey, and some further information.
If you further decide to claim through us, provide us with your personal details and assign us by signing the digital contract.
We work on a “No Win = No Fee” basis. You don’t need to pay anything if we are not successful. You will not have financial risk. You pay only if we get money.
Our claim experts will work with various other teams to collect data so that everything goes smoothly.
Our claim experts have access to flight information such as the time by which the flight was delayed, the reason behind it, flights departure and arrival time, etc. making us more likely to win the compensation.
Don’t be late, claim for your rights today
Why choose “Claim Flights”?
- ✔ No win = No fees. Yes, you read it right, you need to pay nothing unless we win the case
- ✔ No additional legal fee, or admin fee (even if we have to take your case to court)
- ✔ Close to 100% success in court
- ✔ Success fee 25% + VAT (no VAT, if you are a non-EU resident)
- ✔ Top rated when compared with the other flight delay claim companies
- ✔ Test winner in many flight delay provider tests
About Air India Airlines
Air India was founded as the TATA Air Service in 1932 and is the flag carrier of India. Its headquarters are based in New Delhi. Its parent company is Air India Limited and now owned by the Government of India.
It operates a fleet of Airbus and Boeing aircraft serving 94 domestic and international destinations.
The airline has its primary hub located at Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi and secondary hub located at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai.
Through its subsidiaries “Alliance Air” and “Air India Express”, it also operates flights to domestic routes and Asian destinations. The airline became the 27th member of “Star Alliance” on 11th July 2014.
Air India Fleets & Destinations
Air India contains following aircraft:
|Aircraft Type||Fleets(August 2019)|
|Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner||27|
It operates to following cities of Europe & UK
|United Kingdom||Birmingham, London, Manchester|
Air India Web Check-In Services
Passengers can easily avail Air India web check-in services and can check the flight status through their Website. Travelers can select their preferred seat and take print of boarding pass using their PNR number.
The online check-in facility is available within 48 hours of departure of the flight and closes 2 hours prior to departure. Passengers can check-in with other options as well i.e, via AI mobile check-in, or at their Kiosk.
Air India Ticket Booking
You can directly visit Air India Website to check the best deals or cheap flight tickets, and their exclusive offers on Air India international flight booking.
Air India’s online booking service gives a convenient way to book a flight and make an online payment, check flight schedule and timetable, request for a particular seat, special meal or services.
Air India Cancellation Policy
If you are willing to cancel or modify your flight ticket you can make use of Air India Websites’ “My Booking” section for only fully unutilized tickets. It is accessible from their homepage.
Once you request for any change online, it is processed automatically through their Internet Booking Engine. Any refund due is done through their system in accordance with the applicable modification/cancellation rules.
Note: If you modified or canceled your ticket with their call center or reservations office, or if it is partly utilized, there could not be any modification or cancellation online.
Air India Baggage Allowance
Air India Cabin Baggage Allowance International & Domestic
|Ticket Type||Hand Baggage||Max. Size||Max. Weight|
|First-Class, Executive Class, Economy Class||1 Bag +||55 x 35 x 25cm (22x14x10 inches)||8kg|
|1 Small Personal Item (Laptop, overcoat or blanket, reading the material, etc)|
|Travel Type||Ticket Type||Checked Baggage||Max. Size||Max. Weight|
|International (Travel to and from Europe / UK / Israel)||First Class & Business Class||2 PC||62 inches or 158 cm each||32 kgs or 70 pounds each|
|Economy Class||2 PC||should not exceed 107 inches or 273 cm of both pieces||23 kgs or 50 pounds each|
- ➥ Infants traveling in any class are allowed checked baggage of 10kgs and entitled to carry 1 collapsible stroller/carrycot/infant car seat
- ➥ The maximum weight limit of a single piece of baggage should not exceed 32kgs
Excess baggage policy
- If you are traveling internationally by Air India flight and hold baggage that exceeds the flight allowance, then you will be charged either by weight or piece concept.
- To read more about the excess baggage policy based on your country here.
Dr. Mirko C. Ulbrich