What to do if your passport is lost or stolen?
Replace your stolen or lost US passport in just 5 simple steps
Here you will find the documents, forms, and processes necessary to recover your US passport as quickly as possible.
Did you lose your passport or was it stolen?
No problem, here we will show you the steps to recover it as soon as possible.
Although the process may seem long it only consists of some simple steps.
The good news is that many of these steps can be done online, or if you prefer you can do it offline, by mail, by phone or even in person.
Step 1: Report your lost or stolen passport
Reporting it is a must. It is so important because many people could usurp your identity, reporting it is the best way to protect yourself from identity theft. It will always be your decision in the end, but it is better to make sure and avoid any major concern or problem.
Once you report your passport as stolen or lost, it will be invalid and can’t be used for any purpose.
How to report a lost passport?
- By mail: You just have to fill out and complete the DS-64 form. Send it from your nearest post office. And it should be addressed to the address as in the form.
- Online: You can fill out DS-64 form online here.
- Phone: You can even make a call to the US State Department at 1-877-487-2778.
- Note: Even If you want to apply for the new passport, you still need to fill out form DS-64.Through these routes, you can report your passport as stolen or lost.
Step 2: Where to go to replace your passport
The place where you have to go to replace your passport depend on two things, your travel plans and the country you are in.
Depending on these, you can choose these 3 different options:
- If you are in the US and do not have plans in the coming 3 weeks.Then you have to make a reservation to go to a Passport Acceptance Facility. Make an appointment if required, here you can get your passport replaced.
- If you are in the US and plan to travel in 3 weeks or less.Then you have to make a reservation to go in person to a Passport Offices, Passport Agency or National Passport Information Center. Depending on the need you will have some restraints.
- If you are outside the United States.In this case, the most advisable is to contact the nearest US embassy or consulate. Here you can replace your lost passport at an applicable fee.
Step 3: Gather all the documents
Getting the necessary documents to replace your passport is simple.The first thing to check is if you are eligible for a passport replacement.You need a birth certificate to verify that you were born in the US.
You can also use an old or expired passport. Meanwhile, the appearance of the photo of this old passport is still similar to you, there will be no problem. After this, you only need to collect the documents from this list to obtain the replacement of the passport.
- DS-64 Form or Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport: It is required to process your replacement. If you filled it out by hand or online you will need a copy of it.
- Passport Application Form DS-11: This form is filled automatically by this link. However, if you filled in the forms by hand you will need one of each of these forms for the process.
- Driving License: You will need a photocopy of driving license or any other state-issued ID (front and back)
- One Passport Photo
Stolen passport fees
In this case, you will need two cheques, one for the amount of$110addressed to the “US Department of State”.
If you are in a hurry and need an expedited passport replacement you will have to pay$170.
In addition to the previous cheque, you will need to make one for$35for the Passport Acceptance Agent fee.
Step 4: Passport Acceptance Agent Review Process.
Step 5: Send your application
- Through a Passport Expedited Company– If you are in a hurry and you need your passport as quickly as possible, it is best to go to one of these agencies. They will arrange to send the package for you.
- Through a Passport Agency– If you need expedited your passport, just go to one of these agencies and ask for an appointment to replace your passport.
- Through Mail– You can always mail your application you just have to make your Passport Acceptance Agent send your documents to the National Passport Center.
If your flight delays for more than 3 hours, or was canceled, you may be eligible for compensation up to €600 based on EU 261 rule.Check For Free
We offer "No Win - No Fee" Services, so claiming is Risk-Free!
When it comes to the world, the place is one of the most beautiful arenas. The most amazing places in the world allow you to set your foot in the world to enjoy the view of the world. In this blog, we have brought for you the top 10 most...
Thinking of which site you look to watch out for your cheap airfare in order to book the cheapest ticket? Well, you are not the only one. There are many portals with regards to picking the best flight-booking site nowadays in terms of...
When Technical Glitches Ground Your Plans: Flight Delays Explained Flight delays can be incredibly frustrating, especially when they disrupt carefully planned itineraries and cause inconvenience to travelers. While various reasons can...